Saturday, May 10, 2014

Every City Is a Dulcimer

Every City Is a Dulcimer 

There is the rising up from light's embrace,
you can see in a summer field 
or in a child dancing. 

Every city is a dulcimer that plays its chorus 
against our ears.

If I don't ever complete a sentence 
while we are together, accept my apologies

and try to understand this sweet thought: 

Birds intially had no desire to fly,
so God sat close to them playing music.

When He left, they missed him so much 
their great longing sprouted wings
and they took to the sky. 

Listen, nothing evolves us like love. 

        This is so very true, nothing evolves us like love. My book of Kahlil Gibran and Mary Haskell's love letters (a book no longer in print) arrived today from the Orange, Connecticut Public Library, as they were discarding it (due to no one EVER checking it out, wow)! The letters span a period of over 22 years from 1908-1931. While this book claims to hold the love letters of Kahlil Gibran and Mary Haskell there is really no indication that they were lovers in the physical sense, though no one can deny the passion they had for each other's souls. The letters are beautiful in a spiritual way and the longing so pure it is beyond description. The desire you will find in these letters is the type of desire for another person's ultimate good. In honor of my boyfriend's birthday today, I will be blogging about these letters for the next couple of weeks. I begin at the beginning, quoting from a November 8th letter amongst their first year of letters in 1908.

"When I am unhappy, dear Mary, I read your letters. When the mist overwhelms the "I" in me, I take two or three letters out of the little box and reread them. They remind me of my true self. They make me overlook all that is not high and beautiful in life. Each and every one of us, dear Mary, must have a resting place somewhere. The resting place of my soul is a beautiful grove where my knowledge of you lives." 

Never Stop (2012), Safety Suit 

No comments:

Post a Comment