Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Woman I Love

The Woman I Love 

Because the Woman I love lives
inside of you,

I lean as close to your body with my words
as I can –

And I think of you all the time, dear.

Because the One I love goes with you,
Wherever you go,
I will always be near.

I will always lean my heart
as close to your soul
as I can.


        In this poem Hafiz is saying that God (the One) resides inside of his beloved. He leans into her soul, to be close to her (and Him). 
             
       This reminds me of one of the most powerful lines from my favorite book (as of this writing), Les Mis: “To love another person is to see the face of God.” Victor Hugo’s play about the triumph of the human spirit, redemption, justice, religion, is equally about love – both romantic and familial. It is returning to Broadway on March 23, 2014 and I cannot wait to see it! If you’ve never read Les Mis, please treat yourself to picking up the novel and exploring Victor Hugo’s masterpiece.

       Another one of my favorite parts is the preface: "…so long as ignorance and misery remain on earth, books like this cannot be useless.” Indeed. 







No comments:

Post a Comment