Saturday, November 16, 2013

The Subject Tonight Is Love

The Subject Tonight Is Love

The subject tonight is Love
and tomorrow night as well.
As a matter of fact,
I know of no better topic
For us to discuss
Until we die. 

       I love discussing Love. When I’m in a girly mood, I often dream about the future, in which I picture my wedding. As someone who wants to write my own vows, I sometimes google notable odes to a lover or personalized vows written by the couple next door.

      An example I enjoyed reading was the vows of Dan Waber and Jennifer Hill, who were married on Saturday, November 29th, 2008. This is Dan's introductory note: “The vows were basically an alternating list poem with a repeated phrase “I Am Marrying You Because” (also the title). She read all the odd numbered parts, and I read all the even numbered.”

      This is the verse that stood out to me: “I am marrying you because: You still make me feel like we're the man and woman in Gustav Klimt's "The Kiss". Anyone familiar with "The Kiss" will realize it depicts the height of romance. The two lovers seem to blend into one being, making it difficult to determine where one begins and the other ends.

The Kiss, Gustav Klimt, 1908-1909



No comments:

Post a Comment