Saturday, January 4, 2014

Lying Beside My Wife

Lying Beside My Wife

Once when I was awake and lying beside my wife,
she whispered in her sleep, “Hafiz, I love you.”

I don’t think I would trade
having heard her soul speak that way,
even for all of heaven saying the same thing.

But is there a difference?

I think loving is always God,
showing us He is here in our world.


          As I wrote in previous post, Victor Hugo penned the famous words of Les Miserables: “To love another person is to see the face of God.” In that same momentous novel, he also wrote: “The power of a glance has been so much abused in love stories, that it has come to be disbelieved in. Few people dare now to say that two beings have fallen in love because they have looked at each other. Yet it is in this way that love begins, and in this way only.”

          So, I began thinking about this. In the modern world, with online dating, I suppose it is possible to begin to love a degree of a person from afar, well before you’ve physically laid eyes on each other. Conversely, I would say it is safe to assume that the power of a glance is the way love continues. There is something distinct about a look that exclaims “I’m so glad I found you, you bring joy to my life.” There is something distinct about being touched with hands full of intention to impart much more than just that. As Paulo Coelho said in Eleven Minutes: “Anyone who is in love is making love the whole time, even when they're not. When two bodies meet, it is just the cup overflowing. They begin the dance one day and finish it the next, or - such is the pleasure they experience - they may never finish it.”

          Wouldn’t it be wonderful to find someone to engage in an eternal dance with?

          Yes indeed, love is many things.

And We Danced (1985), The Hooters 

No comments:

Post a Comment