Friday, January 17, 2014

A Garden Could Rise In Barren Places

A Garden Could Rise In Barren Places

If you don't watch out I just might say something
you will never forget. Then what will you do?

Those words might organize a gang inside your mind
who undertake a strategic plot or bully you
to make some changes in your life you have wanted to make
but could not, on your own.

A time-release capsule, my touch and sounds,
with secret instructions hidden within that can
slowly seep into the cracks your heartaches acause.

All of a suddden, you might find yourself cleaning your room more,
helping old people across the street,
or giving your money away.

Yes, my words are dangerous.

A garden could rise in barren place inside you
if our eyes met.
I could turn you into a store that sells shuttle tickets
to other planets.

I think someone should get more use out of you
for something that will bring pleasure to others. 

                   
            If you're pleasant enough you could "turn into a store that sells shuttle tickets to other planets". Isn't that a beautiful thought? Quite literally otherworldly.
            About a month ago, I watched the documentary "Life According To Sam", about a boy with progeria, a disease that causes premature aging. Today, I found out he died. Before his death, he gave a TED Lecture called "My Philosophy For A Happy Life". He told the audience: “Even though there are many obstacles in my life, with a lot of them being created by progeria, I don’t waste energy feeling bad for myself, I surround myself with people that I want to be with, and I keep moving forward. I have a very happy life." His life was quite beautiful, as the documentary allowed me to see, his understanding deep, his attitude inspiring. Surely, he was a garden that arose from what could have been a barren place. Conversely, with the support of his parents, both physicians, his family, his friends, and his community he left an impact. And when asked how, his final piece of advice? "Surround yourself with people who make you feel whole...and never miss a party if you can help it." Perhaps life is this party - remember to enjoy every moment you're given to attend.

My Philosophy For A Happy Life, Sam Berns
TEDxMidAtlantic 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment