Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Suspended Blue Ocean

A Suspended Blue Ocean

The sky
is a suspended blue ocean
the stars are the fish
that swim.

The planets are the white whales,
I sometimes hitch a ride on,

And the sun and all light
have forever fused themselves

into my heart and upon
my skin

there is only one rule
on this wild playground,
Earth

for every sign I have ever seen
reads the same.

They all say,
“Have fun, my dear;
my dear, have fun
in this divine
wonderful game.”


            Tonight is Barbara Walters’ final 10 Most Fascinating People broadcast. It got me thinking about exactly what kind of life’s work you must pursue to achieve such notoriety. Some followed their passions (Simon Cowell, Maya Angelou), believed in themselves (Steve Jobs, J.K. Rowling), and legitimately changed the world (Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa). Others (Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Tom Cruise, Kanye West) simply ended up with promising entertainment years or scandalous drama. So what is the secret? Maybe it really is just this: “Have fun, my dear; my dear, have fun in this divine wonderful game.”


No comments:

Post a Comment