Friday, February 14, 2014

Let Me Near You Tonight

Let Me Near You Tonight 

Just one True moment of Love
will last for days. 


I need to know I am yours, Beloved.

         Can words alone define a relationship? If so, no matter how many words there are, there will never be enough. It is often the million shared spaces in between words that make two people fall in love. Conversely, while words may fail at times, without them, love would falter. Without the ability to say “I love you”, love is an almost, love is in a state of arriving, or love is something not quite. And who wants that? No one. A great book to describe this is David Levithan’s The Lover’s Dictionary, which tells a romance through dictionary entries: “Like all love stories, this one has its romantic moments, but it doesn't take long to realize that the two lovers also have some major problems. The Lover's Dictionary, is not so much a love story as it is a story about love, in all its messy complicated reality,” Levithan says.

Here are two of my favorite entries:

ethereal, adj., You leaned your head into mine, and I leaned my head into yours. Dancing cheek to cheek. Revolving slowly, eyes closed, heartbeat measure, nature’s hum. It lasted the length of an old song, and then we stopped, kissed, and my heart stayed there, just like that.

indelible, adj., That first night, you took your finger and pointed to the top of my head, then traced a line between my eyes, down my nose, over my lips, down my neck, to the center of my chest. It was so surprising, I knew I would never mimic it. That one gesture would be yours forever.

        One blog I have really enjoyed is One April Morning, and I especially enjoyed author, Laura  Valeries' poem from her entry entitled The One. I have included it below:

I am often asked,
but 
how do you know
he's The One?
as if The One
is a
given
as if there is
A One
Person
For
Everybody
as if there is
any way
of knowing

I reply,
I don't!
but 
even so
I love him
and
he loves me
and
we're
happiest
when we're
together

that's all
that really
matters

not whether
there may be
someone else
out there
who could
conceivably be
a more talented
cook
(impossible)
or give me
better
Christmas presents
(highly doubtful)
or
have more patience
for my
complete
disinterest
in
housework
(yes,
maybe)
or be
different
in any infinite
number of
ways

because
if you think
like that
nobody
could
ever
choose
anyone

and because
what is love
but
the act of choosing?
the true magic
isn't fate
or destiny
or certainty
but
the lack of it
jumping
off the cliff
hand-in-hand
knowing
that you are
leaving
countless
possibilities
in your wake
but not
caring
because
this person
by your side
is just
so
damn
lovely

the true magic
is
the
mutual
yes
I think you're
wonderful
let's be
friends
and lovers
and share
our lives
and treat each other
with kindness
and tenderness
and love

he is
The One
for me
not because
he is
The Only One
I could have chosen
but because
I want him
more than I want
the possibility
of anyone
else
and he wants me
too

we're
happiest
when we're
together

ten years
later
that's all
that really
matters

            There is no way of knowing who The One is for you, probably because the truth, however unromantic it may be to hear, is that there are many The Ones. The great part is, there is another Truth, which she nailed: “I love him and he loves me and we're happiest when we're together…ten years later, that's all that really matters."
            If you can sit with someone without a fancy meal, or a wonderful destination, or an awesome plan, or a captivating movie, or any fanfare...if you can just sit with them because they light an inner spark and because their company is your joy, it is love. The original definition of "courage" was from the Latin root cor (heart) which means: to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart. I think that is what love is as well...if you can tell your story and someone appreciates all the chapters that came before them and cannot wait to add to the future chapters, it is love. If you find your thoughts drift to them in silent moments, if you find something in yourself that seems more alive, more awaken, if you just want to be near them tonight, it is love. 

 Happy Valentine's Day! <3

Today Was A Fairytale (2010), Taylor Swift 

No comments:

Post a Comment