Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Nothing Can Shatter This Love

Nothing can shatter this love, even if you took another into your arms. 

        My dad asked me what I thought of this concept, the idea that the love in a relationship can continue even if the relationship is over. Of course it is easy (and should be encouraged) to believe in this when the relationship "ends" due to the death of one party, but what about this concept when two people break up? This is where my girly side wants to say "No way!" - move on, find your soulmate, and be content knowing that your previous relationship ended so you could find The One. Except...what if you weren't the one who wanted it to end? What if (although I believe true love knows no boundaries) life caused you to have to split up? The truth is I don't have an answer, I presume I will come to believe whatever my life gives me to interpret, and my interpretation of my love - lived, lost, and gained - will shape how I answer this question.
      However, this week I came across a brief poem by Beau Taplin, The Awful Truth, that gives an answer I appreciate:  

One day, whether you 

are 14, 
28 
or 65

you will stumble upon
someone who will start
a fire in you that cannot die.

However, the saddest, 
most awful truth 
you will ever come to find––

is they are not always
with whom we spend our lives.


        Perhaps the answer is in that last line "not always". This is definitely a question to which the answers will not fit one mold.

It Must Have Been Love (1990), Roxette

No comments:

Post a Comment