Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Passing Of A Body

The Passing Of A Body

What will the burial of my body be? 
The pouring of a sacred cup of wine 
into the Earth's tender mouth

and making my dear sweet lover
laugh one more time. 

What is the passing of a body? 
The glorious lifting of the spirit 
into the sacred arms of the Sky,
and making Existence smile,
one more, one more time. 

           Have you ever contemplated what the passing of a body would be like? Would it actually be a glorious unfolding or do we simply strive to romanticize what we do not understand? Do we try to make an unknown (and scary) event appeal to us? I'm not sure, but I like the idea of making people laugh one last time. If your life was filled with joy, with fun, with enthusiasm for the little things, I would think, when the time became appropriate, people would say "Remember when..." and giggle.

Glorious Unfolding, Steven Curtis Chapman

No comments:

Post a Comment